Sunday, September 28, 2008

Power is Back-We Can Melt, Melt and Fuse

Ike came through Houston (well, most of eastern Texas and some of Lousiana) a couple of weeks ago. Accept for the cool front that passed through the day after Ike and dropped enough rain that flooded my studio and many other places as well, the weather has been pretty good to those of us without any electrical power. Only a couple of really hot humid days and nights....! Good wishes to those of you up in Maine with Kyle. Hope he misses you.

I haven't been able to contact all the TexasWax/Houston folks to see if all were okay. I hope everyone is safe. We just got my power back on yesterday. Two weeks and a day it was out and I feel lucky to have power now. Phone lines have been up for some time and if you get your internet connection is though the phone line you are good to go there too. If it comes through cable, well, in some areas, your are stuck even though you have power.

I still have to reorganize my studio and get things back in place before I can work in there again but the space needed a good clean and sweep anyway. I mostly lost paper products...drawing paper, mat board a few drawings too large to fit in my flat files. Nothing really precious was lost.

In this part of Houston every thing is getting back to order. Nearer the coast, like in Galveston, the situation is much different. Buchanan Gallery for instance, suffered much damage and loss. Fortunately, owner, Kathy Buchanan, who didn't evacuate, survived Ike upstairs above the gallery as the waters began rising and winds whipped through the space taking out the walls. I'm sure she has plenty of stories to tell.

I am grateful for only minor damages and lingering lack of power. Others suffered much worse fates.

My experience of the actual storm however, was via the weather channel on a TV in a hotel in Poughkeepsie, NY. I was there to attend my nephew's wedding. It was difficult, but I managed to get out of town that Friday as Ike approached. I returned home to Houston three days later, Monday evening, along with technicians who were coming to help repair things here, Houstonians returning from vacations in Europe and such. We were all were worried about what we would find.

The good part.....Poughkeepsie is near Kingston where RF Paints is located. I did get over to the store and gallery for a short visit and spending spree that Saturday. Fun!

No comments: